Sunday, May 31, 2009

Attack of the Mole People

I have moles living under my backyard. At first I thought it was thousands but after a little research I realize it's probably one or two. They have tunnels all over my yard, and when I walk through the yard the ground feels bumpy as hell. How do you convince the little buggers to move on? Does it take black powder and fuse? There's also a possibility that it might be a pocket gopher. I take it a pocket gopher is a small gopher, not a critter that lives in your pocket, but this needs more research.

I talked to Carey who lives 2 houses down, and she said she has them all over her yard, and her neighbor does, too. It's an infestation. (Have to admit, I almost wrote molestation. So tempting.) We're under attack. Our yards are turning into Mole Central. I guess the thing to do is put down grub killer, as moles love to eat grubs. I just hate to spread poison on the yard, what with the myriad of cats that live in the neighborhood. Again, more research is needed.

My shrubs in front of the house - boxwoods and Japanese holly - are "in decline". That's horticulture-speak meaning they're all dying. They're developing big holes as sections of the plant die off. They're starting to look like they've been attacked with an ax. It's time to replace them. Carey said there is a dwarf nandina that is hardy and would be a good replacement. I guess I'll have to check this out. I have a few of the heavenly bamboo nandinas - the kind that grows eight feet tall if you let them - and I have to say: not loving them. Carey said she thought the Firepower nandina would look good. It turns florescent red as winter approaches. That much red might be overwhelming. I have a brick house, so it's already presenting a lot of reddish color. Firepower might look good in front of a white or pastel-colored house, but I'm not sure about putting them in front of brick. Maybe a few Firepowers mixed in with another plant? I don't know; I'm not a landscaper. On the other hand, Carey has arguably the best landscaped house on the street, so I tend to think she knows what she's talking about. I'll see what other suggestions she comes up with. Carey, are you listening?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wayne, we have had moles in our backyard and my husband found something he got from Home Depot that you put down into the mole mounds that drives them away. It runs on a battery. Every so often it emits an annoying beep. Annoying to the moles but not to us because we don't hear it. I think it did drive them away, but then they might have grown accustomed to the beeps because they came back. Then Rick used stronger tactics. He never has told me exactly what that entailed. I'm also against using poison to kill them because of our neighbor's cats that might eat a dead mole. I think getting rid of the grubs might be a better solution, but good luck doing that.