Friday, June 9, 2017

Commotion in D.C.

Watching the Russia election-meddling investigation on Capitol Hill reminds me of a line from Shakespeare’s Macbeth:

it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

There will be subpoenas, there will be witnesses, there will be testimony – then, there will be more subpoenas, more witnesses, more testimony. And so on.

James Comey says about Trump: “Lies, plain and simple.”

Donald Trump says about Comey: “… so many false statements and lies…”

Oy.

Trump is not afraid to lie, even when the lie is obvious to everyone. In a meeting with Congressional leadership, Trump began the conversation this way: “I won the popular vote, you know.” In reality – I mean, everyone else’s reality, not Trump’s reality – Clinton received 2.8 million more votes than Trump. But Trump lives in a different reality.

I’m sure Trump’s supporters are aware that he lies about facts, but I doubt that they care. Trump’s supporters are more concerned about this question: “What’s in it for me?” If they have better jobs and more income, they’ll be happy campers. Maybe that’s good. Maybe all of us should ask that question.

“What’s in it for me?”

No comments: