Saturday, July 29, 2017

Rainy Days and Rainy Nights

When I was young, I hated rainy days. I had to stay inside, and I hated staying inside. I loved the outdoors. Now I’m older, and I love rainy days. Mow the lawn? Can’t do it – its raining. Trim the bushes? Can’t do it – it’s raining. Run the weed-eater? Can’t do it – it’s raining.

Night is the best. Because of the rain, the temperature tonight is just 70°F and is supposed to hit 61°F. So I have my bedroom window open. The night air comes in, the night smells come in, and the night sounds come in. I hear the chirping of crickets. Some years, I hear the drone of cicadas. I live less than a half mile as the crow flies from Interstate 95, and often I hear the sounds of Interstate traffic. I hear the incessant drone of tires on pavement. Sometimes I hear Jake  brakes slowing a tractor-trailer. (Perhaps you’ve seen a road sign that states: “No Jake Brakes Within City Limits.” They’re loud.) Frequently, I hear a train on its way through town. I hear the rumble of steel wheels on steel rails, and I hear the engine’s air horns.

The forecast calls for heavy rain tonight – an 80% chance. My house has a shingle roof, but half of my bedroom has a copper sheet on the roof above it. I can hear rain hitting the roof very well.

When I can’t sleep, I get up and see what’s on the television. Usually there is nothing interesting and I end up on the computer, perusing the World Wide Web. Sometimes I’ll use the opportunity to write a blog post. The house is very quiet, with only the sound of the refrigerator running. When the refrigerator turns off, there is no sound at all – except for the tinnitus that is always in the background.

The weather forecast calls for rain off and on for the next 24 hours. I say, “Bring it!” I love rainy days and rainy nights.

No comments: