Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Hanover Tomatoes

In my previous post, Burger Bliss, I mentioned Hanover tomatoes. Just so you know, these are Hanover tomatoes. The medium-size fruit are a little over 4 inches across. I had been visiting with my friend Butch and as I was leaving I saw these on his dining room table. He urged me to take one home with me, as that is his way. I declined and told him I still had slices remaining of the previous tomato he had given me, which was true.


And that reminds me of the old joke about the 3-legged pig. A man passing by a farm saw a 3-legged pig in the farmer’s yard. The man asked the farmer why the pig had only 3 legs.

"Well," said the farmer, "that pig is very special. One time my wife was cooking something and she stepped out of the kitchen and it caught on fire. No one in the house knew about it but the pig, and he saved me, my wife, and my kids. If it weren’t for that pig we would all be dead." 

"That's amazing!" said the man, “but why does the pig only have three legs?"

"Well," said the farmer, "with a pig that special... you don’t eat 'em all at once."

And as with the pig, I still have slices of this special tomato in my fridge, slowly disappearing.


Maybe it’s just my blogging about special pigs and special tomatoes, but now I want a BLT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good story -- enjoyed it very much especially the humor this morning. Those tomatoes warrant a salad today to honor their glory.

I hope the pig enjoys his special place in the family and realizes his life is being saved one leg at a time.

Best.
L