Saturday, May 27, 2023

Bedtime Thoughts

I went to the dentist this week. I went once in January,  twice in March, thrice in April, once in May, and I have two more visits scheduled, but there will be still more before year's end. This week's visit was for a temporary crown, and in June I'll go back in for the permanent crown. Then I have one or two more fillings and another crown awaiting me. Fun times. When I was a teenager, my younger brother, Ken, took note of how often I got fillings at the dentist and one day he remarked, "Your teeth are as hard as mashed potatoes." Sorry, but life is a roll of the dice. Or should I say, "a roll of the DNA."

My friend Butch who was recently in the hospital has decided to sell his house and move in with his daughter. I'll be sorry to see him leave the neighborhood, but he knows what is best for his life, so I'm sure he's making the right decision. It will be one of those turning points we all have in our lives. Someone said, "Turning points contain a message from yourself to yourself." This turning point for Butch also sends a message to me. Fortunately for me, I have Nuria, and together we are stronger than we would be living separate lives. I've been single for many years, but right now, just when I begin to need a little help, Providence has sent someone into my life—and I into her life. Deepak Choprah said, "There are no accidents... there is only some purpose that we haven't yet understood." Sigmund Freud said, "There are no accidents and no coincidences. Nothing comes out of the blue." The older I become, the more I understand. Maybe that's because some part of me, some part of my soul, has always been old. And yet I still have so much to learn. I feel both parts of me, the mature and the immature. I recognize those souls I know well, even when they merely pass through my life. I'm on a mission; they're on a mission, and we pass like ships in the night, each of us heading to our own unknown destiny.

Nuria is already in bed. I'll have to go now. Take care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings

I loved this post -- so insightful and helpful. I'm so happy you have Nuria to spend time with and enjoy doing fun things.

It is truly amazing about teeth -- the soft ones and hard ones -- I often wonder if genetics research would explain all these interesting facts about families differences in their body construction makeup. I guess we'll just have to be thankful that we have dentists who can fix the teeth --

I'm enjoying this lovely rainy day -- what a gift -- so peaceful and calm.

Happy Memorial Day -- thank you for all your posts throughout the year. So many excellent and interesting subjects.

Best, LL