Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Eureka

My house was buzzed today by a Zeppelin named Eureka. When I saw it I thought it was a blimp, although it looked bigger and sleeker than blimps I have seen. According to the Farmers Airship website, Eureka is “one of only two flying commercially in the world, she is the only Zeppelin in the Americas and is owned and operated by Airship Ventures.” You can buy a ticket to ride on Eureka. The airship’s schedule is posted on this website: www.farmersairship.com.

A blimp is a non-rigid airship that keeps its shape by internal overpressure. A Zeppelin is a rigid airship; its shape is determined by an internal frame. I believe the Eureka is actually a semi-rigid and therefore not strictly a Zeppelin. The semi-rigid Zeppelins are called Zeppelin NT (New Technology) airships.

Zeppelin Eureka
Zeppelin Eureka
It looked like it was going to pass right by, but when I went out into the yard it turned and flew toward my house.
Zeppelin Eureka
Zeppelin Eureka
After flying a loop around the local shopping center, Eureka motored away to the southwest toward Petersburg and Dinwiddie County. Sayanora, Zeppelin. Happy travels.
IZeppelin Eureka
Ride along with a local news reporter. Full-screen mode is available.

No comments: