Tuesday, April 16, 2013

This Is How Government Works

I don’t work for the National Weather Service (NWS). Sometimes I use the NWS website to check the outside temperature. That’s my only connection with the NWS: as a consumer.

Eleven months ago in May, 2012, I sent an email to the NWS advising them that the local automated weather reporting station was malfunctioning and reporting Light Rain or Light Drizzle when actual conditions were Fair and Sunny. A few days later I received a reply stating that the weather reporting station did not belong to the NWS – it was an Automated Weather Observing Station (AWOS) maintained by the FAA.

For almost a year the weather station has continued to malfunction. Meanwhile my original complaint circulated round and round in the bowels of government, collecting reports about other malfunctioning weather stations, being copied to persons here and there, until the whole mess landed on someone’s computer and they decided to close the circle by sending the email to me and telling me to fix the malfunctioning weather reporting station.

It’s nice to know the government hasn’t forgotten about the malfunctioning equipment. It’s a little disheartening to know that after a year they’re still pondering how to fix it and are totally confused about who is responsible for it.

No comments: