Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Longest Day

I’m not talking about D-Day. You can read about the 1962 movie here, and you can read about the actual event, the Normandy Landings, here. No, I’m talking about today. I’m talking about this day; the day I’m writing this post. Today is the longest day of 2013, at least where I live.

Usually (and you probably know this) when we speak of the longest day of the year, we’re talking about the day of the summer solstice – the first day of summer. But today is not the day of the summer solstice. The summer solstice will occur tomorrow, June 21, at 1:04 AM EDT. Tomorrow is the first day of summer for this year. Happy Summer! And if you happen to live below the equator, Happy Winter!

In my central Virginia city, the length of tomorrow will be 14 hours, 45 minutes, and 27 seconds: one second shorter than today. Of course, the length of day and night depend upon your latitude. North of the Arctic Circle, the sun will not set tomorrow. South of the Antarctic Circle, the sun will not rise tomorrow.

My friend David just got a new job. Tomorrow morning he will drive to Memphis, Tennessee, and settle into new accommodations. Monday morning he’ll begin his new job. I think driving to a new job on the first day of summer is an auspicious beginning both for the new job and the next chapter of a life.

My friend Claudia will probably throw a Summer Solstice Party. After all, not only is tomorrow the first day of summer, it’s also Friday: two good excuses to throw a party. Not that Claudia needs an excuse to throw a party.

I haven’t decided what I’ll do tomorrow to celebrate the solstice, but it will probably involve eating too much and drinking too much. Wait – maybe I should do something I don’t do every day.

If you’d like to celebrate the summer solstice, here are some suggestions:
Celebrate the Summer Solstice and Throw a Summer Solstice Party.

No comments: