Monday, August 5, 2013

Minor Mystery

I have a wooden backscratcher on my computer desk. It’s about 18 inches long with a five-fingered “claw” at one end and a hole for a string at the other end.

The string is tied in a loop and allows the backscratcher to be hung on a nail, in the event its owner prefers displaying the backscratcher as a decorative knick-knack instead of using it as a functional tool. I keep my backscratcher close. If I get an itch while working at my computer, I pick up the little wooden scratcher and give the itch a good scratching with the claw.

<< Here’s the claw end of the backscratcher.

<< Here’s the other end. For the years that I have owned the scratcher, a small red string has passed through the hole and has been tied into a loop.

The other day I picked up the backscratcher and as I did, I saw the red string fall off the scratcher and onto the floor. I didn’t think much of it. I figured the string had become frayed and had parted, or the knot had become untied.

But then I then found the string lying on the floor beside my chair. The string is still sturdy and still tied in a loop!

How did the string get free of the hole it had been looped through for years? It’s a mystery. Not a major mystery like, “How was the Universe created?”, but a minor mystery that makes you say “Huh” and then forget about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are two answers to this conundrum:
a) There is a crack in the string end of the backscratcher thru which the string passed when pulled, unknowingly, from the nail;
2) When the local miscreant that replaces your neighbor Sally's possessions with identical possessions, he didn't notice that the string wasn't thru the hole.
Mysterie solved.