Thursday, July 24, 2014

Late Night Shenanigans

I was in bed trying to sleep when I heard a police siren. It sounded close. I looked out the window and saw a car in my neighbor’s back yard and a police car stopped in the alley behind my house. The siren was blaring, because that’s what sirens do: they blare. I glimpsed a man dash away from the car with an officer in foot pursuit. In a minute the officer came back, inspected the just-abandoned car, and called a tow truck. The tow truck driver was a young woman wearing short-shorts. She had much nicer legs than your average tow truck driver. She drove the car onto the rollback tow truck and chained it down, and off it went to wherever bad cars go. I wondered briefly what the car chase was about. After all, fleeing a police car seems the tiniest bit of over-reaction to getting a speeding ticket, so I assumed the driver’s misconduct was something more serious. Perhaps he had just robbed a convenience store, stolen a car, and fled with the loot. Whatever. I returned to bed. Another exciting day at the hacienda had come to a close.

No comments: