Sunday, July 20, 2014

Luck

I had a long and winding dream last night, as I often do. I won’t try to recount it all, but there was one small part that I will write about. I dreamed my brother went to North Carolina to buy a car. In the dream, he said he went to a town called Luck. So of course I Googled it and as it happens, there really is a town called Luck in Madison County, North Carolina. Well, it’s less a town than what one might call a fork in the road, but it’s on Google Maps, and it has an entry in Wikipedia, and I reckon those two facts alone make it semi-officially a town.

Luck is on the eastern side of North Carolina highway 209, about 20 miles northwest of Asheville. On the western side of 209 is part of Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

On a satellite photo, Luck appears to consist of two houses and a derelict gas station. (Click the image to view on Panoramio.) But I have no doubt that up and down state highway 209 and county road 1163 (the fork in the road), one would find a scattering of homes whose occupants count themselves a part of the Luck community.

Oh … about the car that my brother bought in Luck. It looked just like an Amphicar, the car from the ‘60s that you could drive on land and water. (Check out this page.) President Lyndon Johnson had an Amphicar, and he liked to frighten guests by driving them down a hill on his property and straight into a lake, all the while shouting that his brakes had failed. Lyndon could be quite the joker.

backward-pilcrow

But my brother’s car only looked like an Amphicar. In the dream it was a brand called Phaedra which, as far as I know, is a brand that does not exist outside of my head. The Phaedra had an insignia on its front that looked like a golden, backward pilcrow. In case you’ve forgotten, a pilcrow (¶) is a typographical paragraph mark. In the Middle Ages, before the paragraph was invented, a pilcrow was used to indicate a change in the writer’s train of thought.

Anyway, that was one little piece of my dream. You wouldn’t like most of my dreams. They’re quite tedious. Much like this blog post.

No comments: