Sunday, August 20, 2017

Syzygy

Syzygy – now there is a word I don’t often use. A syzygy happens when three celestial objects are in alignment with one another. Tomorrow (or perhaps today, depending on where you are), the sun, the moon, and the earth will create a syzygy. The result will be an eclipse of the sun. (Syzygy is also a term used in classical prosody, but let’s not go there.)

The last eclipse I clearly remember occurred when I was a child. Perhaps I clearly remember it because it was my first eclipse. I was in my parents’ bedroom, sitting on the edge of their bed, reading a book called The Search for Bridey Murphy. In front of me was an open window and I remember a very gradual dimming of the daylight. At some point I got up and went outside and looked at the sun. The world didn’t have eclipse glasses then, but I’m sure I used some kind of eye protection – perhaps black and white film negatives layered together. I didn’t look at the eclipse for long – just a few seconds – and my reaction, if it could be expressed in words, would have been something like, “Huh.” Then I went back inside and continued reading.

The last time an eclipse occurred coast to coast in the continental United States was in 1918, and it won’t happen again until 2045. But an eclipse occurs, on average, somewhere on our planet every 18 months. There are people who travel the world to see a total eclipse. An eclipse may occur over the ocean. It may occur over Siberia, or over Mongolia, or over the tip of South America. Which is to say, eclipses occur in plenty of places that you wouldn’t necessarily want to be.

People who travel to see eclipses often say the moment of totality is awesome. It would have to be awesome, and then some, to induce me to drive for hours in congested traffic in order to see something that will last for about two minutes. And with my luck, a passing cloud would block out the moment of totality.

If you’ve never seen a total eclipse, you may want to drive for hours to have the experience. Perhaps you’ll agree that the eclipse is awesome. But be warned: YMMV – your mileage may vary. You may spend hours on the road in great anticipation, only to say, “Huh.”

(Note – NASA will be webcasting the eclipse. Follow this link for info.)

No comments: