Tuesday, August 8, 2017

That Kind of Day

It’s a rainy afternoon. I go to the kitchen and fill my 28 ounce mug with water. I place the mug on a nearby countertop and something goes wrong. As soon as I let go of the mug it falls onto the floor. Water goes everywhere.

So it’s going to be that kind of day.

I fetch a sponge mop and a bucket and begin to mop the kitchen floor. Right away, the sponge tears away from the mop-head. It was a new sponge, used one time, and I don’t have a replacement sponge. I decide to let the water evaporate. And it does. The water evaporates into the air and is removed from the air by the a/c.

It rains all day. Evening comes and I go to bed. Lying in bed, I hear a faint tapping sound. I get out of bed and follow the tapping sound to the bathroom. Water is dripping from the ceiling. Fortuitously, it happens to be dripping into a plastic bucket. The drops of water hitting the bottom of the empty bucket are making the tapping sound.

The next day a friend comes by the house, looks at my roof, and says he sees the problem. He goes home and returns with some supplies. He climbs a ladder and pounds nails, installs screws, and applies caulk. He pronounces the roof water-tight once more. I hope he’s right.

The twenty-four eventful hours are concluded in proper fashion when I heat a microwave meal for dinner and get food poisoning. Oh well, at least there’s Imodium for that.

No comments: