Friday, February 16, 2018

Shootings

I’ve been pondering whether to blog about the Florida school shooting. But I’ve decided it would be pointless. Nothing is going to change. There will be another school shooting in America soon, and then another soon after that, and so on. Maybe we’ll get to the point where we have a school shooting every day. People don’t care. If they cared, they would do something to stop it. Yet the opposite is happening. Congress repealed an Obama-era law that made it more difficult for the mentally ill to purchase guns. Trump signed the bill into law. State legislatures are making it easier for mass shootings to happen. In Virginia, where I live, the legislature recently voted against banning bump stocks, which convert a semi-automatic rifle to full automatic. I guess fully automatic firearms are needed by sportsmen when they go deer hunting.

In the absence of stronger gun control laws, I can see only one way to reduce casualties caused by school shootings. Students and teachers must be required to wear hard-plate reinforced personal armor to their classes. Yes, I’m talking about the same body armor that is worn by combat soldiers and police tactical units. It sounds extreme, I know, but would you rather see kids in body armor, or would you rather see dead kids carried out of school buildings?

Maybe I’m being facetious just to make a point. And maybe I’m dead serious.

No comments: