Thursday, March 8, 2018

Best Picture?

The 2018 Academy Awards was broadcast this past Sunday. Unfortunately, there were no fun screw-ups like with last year’s show. (I blogged about that fiasco here.)

Last year’s Best Picture went to La La Land. I tried to watch it and managed to sit through the first half of the movie.

This year’s Best Picture went to The Shape of Water. If you haven’t seen it yet, then allow me to spoil it for you. Imagine a high-budget version of 1954’s sci-fi/horror flick Creature from the Black Lagoon.

A mute woman falls in love with a creature that appears to be half man and half trout. I watched just 40 minutes of the film (which was 40 minutes too much) and so I can’t tell you exactly what happened to them, but then who cares? The movie is preposterous. I’m guessing they lived happily ever after at the bottom of the ocean.

If this movie is really the best movie America made in all of 2017 then our movie industry is in big trouble.

No comments: