Sunday, June 23, 2019

Lazy Sunday

Today is Sunday and my yard needs mowing. I was going to mow the yard yesterday, but I was hit by a serious case of don’t-give-a-damn. I decided to put off mowing until today. However, today is so quiet, so peaceful, that I hate to fire up the lawn tractor. The decibel rating from the lawn tractor’s puny 15.5 HP engine belies its small size. It sounds like a B-17 revving up its four engines and getting ready for takeoff. The outside temperature is only 82°F at 3:45 PM (2:45 by the sun) and a breeze wafts gently through my front window on its way to my back door. There is a lawn mower running somewhere in the neighborhood. I hear it but the sound is muted. There are no barking dogs to destroy the serenity of my neighborhood. There never are.

My yard is crisscrossed with mole tunnels. It makes for a rough ride on the lawn tractor. It bounces around as it traverses the mole tunnels, tilting this way and that. Nevertheless, I’ll put that thing in high gear and drive like I’m the Mario Andretti of lawn tractors.

The lawn mower I heard running somewhere nearby is no longer running and quietude settles on the neighborhood. Today would have been a good day to mow. Tomorrow will be about 10 degrees warmer. But then, that’s what air conditioners are for. I’ll take a swipe at the front yard and if I get too hot, I’ll come inside, mix a big mug of lemonade, and enjoy the coolness. Then I’ll go back out and mow the back yard. I don’t see me using the string trimmer tomorrow, but it has been known to happen.

1 comment:

CyberDave2.1 said...

"Tomorrow is going to be 10° warmer than today so I'll put off mowing til then and have something new to bitch about...."

Cheers!
CyberDave2.3