Thursday, July 4, 2019

To Mow or Not To Mow

It’s about 4:20 PM. As I sit in my air-conditioned house and look through the window, the day is sunny and the temperature is 92°F with a heat index of 99°. That is according to the National Weather Service, which gets the temperature from the FAA’s automated weather station at the Dinwiddie County Airport. Weather Underground, which has several weather stations nearer to me, reports the temperature in my city to be 97° with a heat index of 107°. As for Accuweather, they’re going with the NWS. My phone says the temperature is 92° and feels like 100°.

Here’s my question: do I mow the yard? The weather forecast says 40% chance of thunderstorms this evening and tonight. Same thing for tomorrow. The grass is getting tall in places, though most of the yard is well within legal limits. That’s right, if the grass in my yard becomes too tall, the city will fine me and mow my yard themselves. Which will not be cheap.

What to do, what to do? One more look outside. Oh, now it’s raining! And it’s still sunny! No mowing today, and I bet somewhere nearby there is a rainbow! It takes so little to make me happy.

1 comment:

CyberDave2.1 said...

Wholly Mows its! 94° here at the moment, probably near a century in your sector. I'd let the stuff grow til fall or something...
Cheers!~
CD