Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Glitch in Reality

So this happened. To me. Today.

I drove to Wally World to pickup medications from their pharmacy. While there, I decided to buy a few food items from their grocery.

There is a product called Boost, which is a nutritional supplement drink. I had never bought it so I decided to buy two 6-packs—one vanilla, one chocolate, to try it out.

I went home and put away my purchases. Noon came and I decided to try one of the Boost drinks. I opened the fridge door and was dismayed to see only one six-pack. What happened to the second six-pack?

I considered the possibilities. One: I had left it sitting on the sofa where I put the bags when I entered the house. So I checked. There were no bags on the sofa.

Two: I left the bag in my Jeep. If so, the product would keep until the next time I used the Jeep.

Three: I left it in the cart at the store. If so, I was out of luck.

I went back to the fridge and checked again. Bottom shelf: just one six-pack. I scanned the other shelves but they didn’t have any Boost on them. I shut the door.

Later, I opened the fridge and triple-checked, looking at every item on every shelf. The only six-pack of Boost was on the bottom shelf. I was perplexed, but I put it out of my mind.

An hour later I decided to eat a sandwich for lunch. I opened the door of the fridge to retrieve some ingredients I needed, and the first thing I saw was the bottom shelf. There were the two six-packs of Boost sitting side-by-side!

I’ve experienced this kind of thing before and have described a few of those experiences on this blog. What can a person do but shrug and say, “That’s weird!”

People will say, “The two six-packs were there all along.” To them I say, “Sure, I searched the fridge thoroughly three times and I failed to notice two six-packs sitting side-by-side.” But how realistic an explanation is that?

Remember, in the movie “The Matrix”, when Neo (Keanu Reeves) saw the cat walk by the door twice? My opinion is when these things happen it’s a “glitch in Reality.” Call it parallel realities or whatever you want. When it happens to you, you’ll discover people won’t believe it and will go to any length to dismiss it with the most trivial explanation. But it’s real, and it happens.

No comments: