Saturday, March 27, 2021

Choices

I study Spanish every day. I use a website called Duolingo. They have "leagues" for their users, depending on how smart the user is and how quickly he learns the new language. The leagues have names like gold and silver and diamond, etc. I'm in the "screwdriver" league. I don't know what that means. Are they saying I'm a "tool" ... a slang word? Or are they saying I'm a vodka and orange juice? I never drank vodka and orange juice in my drinking days. Too fruity. But I enjoyed vodka martinis—vodka and dry vermouth. I loved dirty martinis with three or four large stuffed olives. To be fair, I liked gin martinis, too.

Once I went into a Chinese restaurant and ordered a gin and tonic. The waitress brought me what looked like a gin and tonic. I sipped it and I thought, "Wow, this drink is strong!" I sipped it again and I thought, "This drink is very strong!" I called the owner to my table. She was a Chinese woman that I, as a regular customer, knew well. I told her the drink was overly strong. After a short discussion with her, I realized she had put only gin and ice into the glass. It may have been an alcoholic's delight, but no thanks.

By the way, today's slang word of the day is vaxhole. "What is a vaxhole?" you ask. A vaxhole is someone who goes around bragging about being fully vaccinated from the Covid-19 virus. The things you can learn from the Internet! I've had my first vaccination. I suppose that makes me a vaxhalf. 

The daytime temperatures are rising. Today was 84°F in central Virginia. The weeds in my yard are growing out of control. But were it not for weeds, my yard would not be green at all, so I shouldn't complain too much. When hot weather arrives, the grass will sprout and the weeds will die. Mostly.

It's nearly midnight. By the time I click the Publish button, a new day will be here. I have lots of chores to do before my guests arrive in ten days. I should do the dishes tonight. But ... you know the saying, "Why do today what can be put off until tomorrow?" I've lived by those words. They should be carved into my tombstone, were I to have such an outdated contrivance placed upon my final resting place. 

I'd like to get a good night's sleep but it's after midnight and I'm not sleepy at all. What I need now is three or four vodka martinis. But ... sigh. I can't do that. I've done my riding with that particular devil, and I knew when it was time to end the ride. I won't go back. My future is in front of me, not behind me. I know where I've been, and I choose to be in a different place. Everyone has to choose at some time. Should I take this new path, or remain on the one I've been on? Choose wisely, people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you have chosen the right ones, specially the one about drinking and I am glad that you see your future in front of you and it is for good. Good for you!
Congrats!
TA

Anonymous said...

Greetings

What a neat post with loads of good information. Is the Vaxhole a real thing? I believe people are fooling themselves believing they are fully covered with the vaccine -- or they just choose to be very positive (but know better).

I love the description about drinking -- it could apply to anything any of us have done that we want to change. I think you should send it to AA --it would help others trying to kick the habit.

Why is it called Spring? Because all of the things in our lives that need fixing are laid bare in Winter and springtime prompts them to spout again ---the demons inside us - the chores--unfulfilled dreams--it would be wonderful to have a season called Final where everything either has been fixed or no longer bothers us --oh yeah--we do-it's called Death.

Great post. LL