Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Happenings

I haven't blogged in a week. I had a few chores. These chores go back to when I had a new roof put on my house. That was in 2012, I think. Maybe 2013.

The new roof wasn't installed properly and it leaked when rain fell. That caused damage to my living and dining room ceilings and to the bathroom ceiling. Over the years since, I've called multiple roofers to come and stop the leak. Most of them failed completely. One or two of the roofers succeeded in stopping a leak, but other leaks remained.

At last it seemed like all the leaks had been stopped, so I called a friend who is a Jack-of-all-trades but is an expert at repairing walls and ceilings. We spent a week working on my damaged ceilings. I don't mean we spent 40 hours; we worked 2 or 3 hours a day. We would work until we reached a point where we couldn't continue until something dried (for example, joint compound, which can require multiple thin applications over several days if you want a good job).

There was one place in the bathroom, on a wall near the ceiling, that had rainwater damage but I wasn't certain when that damage occurred—before roof repairs or after—so I patched and painted it and crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

Today it rained and the roof above the bathroom leaked and caused damage to the outer wall of the bathroom. It also caused visible damage to the area on the ceiling that had the worst damage prior to the repair work. I could call a roofer, but I've already done that seven or eight times and the roof still leaks.

I also got a Covid-19 shot last Sunday. I had registered with the local and state health departments for a Covid shot but I hadn't heard back from either. Then a friend living in Costa Rica texted me that I could get a shot at my local CVS. I checked and sure enough, they were offering the Moderna vaccine. I signed up online and went to the store at the appointed time. I had to wait in line about 20 or 30 minutes, but the time passed quickly and I got the shot. They told me to wait in the store for 15 minutes. I thought, "Yeah, that'll happen," and I drove to Food Lion and bought a few items and then I drove home. On Monday, the next day, my arm was a little sore, but otherwise I've had no side effects. 

I've got a sink repair to do in the upstairs bathroom. The lavatory faucet leaks badly when the water is turned on. So that's waiting to be fixed. I will have two guests come April 6th, and one will be using the second floor bathroom. So time is growing short as I dawdle at writing blogs and watching YouTube videos. 

I watched the nightly news and saw the story about the Colorado grocery store shooting in which ten people were killed. I have a solution. That's right, I have a solution to the gun problem in America. Maybe it's not the best solution, but it's a solution, it's simple, and no one else appears to have thought of it. Maybe I'll write about it in my next blog article.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saludos! It looks that you have not been lucky with your roof and leaks and other repairs, but don't give up, it will be worthy. I am glad that you got the Covid vaccine already. I hope you will be ready for your visitors, and enjoy their visit, that is around the corner.
Great experiences! Nice job!
TA

Anonymous said...

Glad you got your vaccine and some chores finished too.
Soon Spring will be sprung on us but it sounds like you'll be ready!!

Good luck

LL