Sunday, October 8, 2023

Nuria's Job

Nuria, my domestic partner, has been organizing our home, which is a polite way of saying "making my stuff disappear." But that's okay, I like being able to see the top of my desk. She also has put Halloween decorations on the front of our house. She's really "into" these holiday things. And speaking of "holiday things"...

She's also decided that she wants a job, so she applied for employment with the local Macy's store. But I'm starting at the end of the story.

First, Nuria had to get permission to have a job from US Customs and Immigration Service, because her permanent resident card hasn't been issued yet. She applied for permission to work in January, 2023. She received permission from USCIS two weeks ago in late September, 2023.

Nuria wants a temporary job for the holiday season. She does have an impressive resume, and she took three letters of recommendation to her job interview, which impressed the interviewer, who told her no one brings letters of recommendation anymore.

Her resume impressed me, too, and my own resume includes designing missile guidance systems as well as electronics for self-navigating mobile robots.

Here is a portion of Nuria's resume or, as she titled it, her CURRICULUM VITAE (a document that is usually used for applying for positions in academia, but why not call it that?)

STUDIES:

PRIMARY: 6TH GRADE. / 1958-1964

SECONDARY: 11TH GRADE (HIGH SCHOOL CERTIFICATE) /1965-1970

AMERICAN BUSINESS ACADEMY: BILINGUAL SECRETARY/1971-1973

INGLEWOOD ADULT SCHOOL: HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA /1974-1976 ( L. A. , USA)

ADDITIONAL COURSES:

MUTUAL ALAJUELA: HUMAN RELATIONS AND COMMUNICATION/1976

LEOPOLDO BARRIONUEVO: THE SECRETARY AND HER SUPPORT/1989

LEOPOLDO BARRIONUEVO: THE PROFESSIONAL MODERN SECRETARY/1990

INSTITUTO LATINOAMERICANO DE IDIOMAS: GENERAL INTERNET, EXCEL FOR WINDOWS, AMBIENTE WINDOWS, WORD FOR WINDOWS/1996

INSTITUTO UNIVERSAL DE IDIOMAS: DELTA AIRLINES ADVANCED ENGLISH COURSE/2000

GALILEO UNIVERSITY: BASIC GALILEO PROGRAM, FLIGHT RESERVATION FARES/2001

PATRICK HENRY HIGH SCHOOL: ESL CLASS/2002-2003 (ROANOKE, VA, USA)

ROANOKE CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS: READING AND WRITING ESL COURSES/2003 (ROANOKE, VA, USA) 2002-2003

BB&T UNIVERSITY: CERTIFIED TELLER COURSE/2008

TIME WARNER CABLE: CUSTOMER CARE/2010  

WORK EXPERIENCE:

  • I WORKED AS BILINGUAL SECRETARY AT THE JUAN SANTAMARIA AIRPORT FOR ONE YEAR. COSTA RICA
  • I WORKED WITH MUTUAL ALAJUELA, FINANCIAL INSTITUTION FOR 25 YEARS AS SECRETARY, CREDIT AGENT, COLLECTION AGENT, MORTGAGE AGENT, TELLER. COSTA RICA
  • I WORKED WITH INDUSTRIAS DE CONFECCION POLIANDY, AN APPAREL COMPANY, AS BILINGUAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT FOR 5 YEARS. COSTA RICA
  • I WORKED WITH TIME’S SQUARE TRAVEL AGENCY AS ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT FOR 2 YEARS. COSTA RICA
  • I MOVED TO ROANOKE, VA AND I WORKED CLEANING AND ORGANIZING HOUSES, ALSO HELPING ELDERS WITH DOCTOR APPOINTMENTS, GROCERY SHOPPING AND BABY SITTER. USA
  • I WORKED AS SENIOR TELLER AND CLIENT SERVICE WITH BB&T BANK. I WAS ALSO IN CHARGE OF THE CASH VAULT AND BALANCING BRANCH LOG BOOKS FOR 3 YEARS. USA
  • I MOVED BACK TO COSTA RICA WHERE I WORKED WITH CONVERGY’S FOR TIME WARNER CABLE FOR ONE YEAR.
  • I WORKED FOR FISCHEL A PHARMACY FOR ALMOST 3 YEARS AS CLIENT SERVICE AND SALES.
  • I WORKED FOR OPTICAS ALVAREZ, OPTICAL SHOP, SETTING APPOINTMENTS, CUSTOMER SERVICE, SALES, MARKETING, VISITING COMPANIES AND SIGNING CONTRACTS FOR 5 YEARS.

AWARDS:

  • LITERACY VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA - ROANOKE VA/VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR/2003, ROANOKE, VA
  • LITERACY VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA - ROANOKE VA/ SARAH RUBUSH AWARD/2004, ROANOKE, VA ENGLISH WRITING AWARD/REFLECTIONS WRITING CONTEST/2003, ROANOKE, VA

Nuria was offered a job at the interview. She starts October 13th.  Macy's pays a starting salary of $16/hour. 

If I decide to get a job, any kind of job, I'm going to let Nuria write my resume.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings
I can honestly say this is one impressive resume ! Macy's will be lucky to have her -- Will you now be cooking dinner for her? Or packing lunches?

I'm really happy Nuria has found something that will be fun and earn some extra money. Not to mention those sales with a discount for employees !!

Best of luck as you start this new chapter.

LL