Sunday, March 3, 2024

Shoe Battle

Fashion shoemaker Christian Louboutin is well-known for their line of red sole women's shoes. In fact, the red sole is trademarked by Louboutin.

Trademarks are important. They have value and are considered to be part of a company's assets. So when fashion house Yves Saint Laurent brought out a line of shoes of various colors, including red, that were the same color all over the shoe, including the sole, Louboutin filed a lawsuit against their competitor. Louboutin claimed that by making a red shoe with a red sole, Yves Saint Laurent was infringing upon Louboutin's trademarked red sole.

A district court in New York gave an opinion that agreed with Louboutin. But on appeal, an appellate court's opinion was that a shoe may have a red sole if the remainder of the shoe, inside and outside, is also red. Louboutin's trademark relied on the fact that the red sole versus a different color on the shoe's "upper" is distinctive and thereby worthy of a trademark. But the appellate court decided that Yves Saint Laurent's line of shoes having the same color all over was also distinctive and trademark-worthy.

Enter Donald Trump, hawking his own brand of sneakers. The sneakers are gold-color and have red soles. Of course. With all the colors of the rainbow available to him, Trump chose red for the soles. 

I see another lawsuit on the horizon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings

It's been a while and this is hilarious -- there are starving children around the world and people are worried about shoes. I think Trump's shoes are hilarious too. I've heard that if someone buys you a pair of shoes it means the highest quality of love. I remember John used to buy Sharon lots of them.
I think the Trump shoes are --well honestly, I don't know how to describe the product or why shoes were chosen as his election year trademark. Maybe I have the gold and you treat me bad and I'll walk all over you.

I knew this was going to be an active year but I've gotten more emails and text messages from this candidate than I have ever from anyone else in my voting years. Can't wait til Super Tuesday to vote --

I don't know how I feel about the red soles -- I understand the trademark but goodness -- don't think I would go along with them being allowed to be exclusive ---it's a big color scheme world out there --

I think it's time they got a new puppy -- I know I did and that's how I can answer this at 3 AM. Leonardo the Beagle baby --- first night ---

Best, LL