Saturday, March 30, 2024

Writings From the Past / 2003

From a blog I wrote in 2003...

December 8th, 2003

Time is short now. It’s Monday already, and cuz’n Ron and his wife Betty will be driving up from Florida on Wednesday, so I’ve hustled today to get things done. Washed the bathroom and kitchen, vacuumed, put stuff away. My house still looks like the place the Beverly Hillbillies moved from. 

I’ve got a special treat for cuz’n Ron and Betty. I’m gonna plug the fuse back into the electric water heater circuit. Because I know how married women get ... spoiled. And the guys who live with them for any length of time ... spoiled. Just a hint that they might bathe in cold water and it’s whine, whine, whine. Heck, when those married guys were 15 they would go camping and bathe in a mountain stream, which is basically melted snow, and they’d hop around and holler and have a good time. But now, the mere suggestion that the shower nozzle emits ice water and it’s ... you guessed it ... whine, whine, whine. People are getting soft.

So I plugged the fuse back into the water heater circuit. I’m trying to keep people happy here. 


December 9th, 2003

My concern today is food, ‘cause I know Ron and Betty aren’t going to want to drive 800 miles to visit me and then spend their time buying groceries and cooking meals. Of course, I could give them a choice - buy groceries and cook food ... or ... don’t eat for five days, take your pick. But I will admit that five days is a bit of a stretch. When I do it I run out of energy after three days. Of course I, being a single guy, just scrounge food wherever. Usually, my kitchen holds enough food for maybe two meals, one of those meals being peanut butter.

I don’t cook. Never have, never will. But I can “cook” simple things ... meals so simple that what you’re really doing is more “heating up” than “cooking”. So tonight I decided to prepare their first meal in advance. Beans. Yes sir. Betcha that was a big surprise. But these won’t be any ordinary beans, no sir. These beans are gonna be sweet-'n’-sour beans. These beans are gonna be tasty beans. These beans are gonna be great beans.

I had a little trouble finding enough bacon grease for the beans. There’s only so much grease in a pound of bacon. I hope it will be enough.

Cuz'n Ron is no longer with us, and his wife Betty is traveling the world—something she always wanted to do. I've cooked many a meal since 2003 and, in fact, published a little blog (here) about some of my meals. All the meals are simple and easy to prepare.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings

This is adorable -- it's obvious you wanted your family to have all the things they needed to enjoy their stay with you.

I'm so glad you have those memories. I hope you got a lot of family photos back then.

Maybe they'll come visit again soon and see all of the latest updates.

Best, LL