Monday, March 4, 2013

Maybe Ludwig Wittgenstein Was A Little Bit Right

Some quotes:

“I ought to have... become a star in the sky. Instead of which I have remained stuck on earth.”

“I won't say 'See you tomorrow' because that would be like predicting the future, and I'm pretty sure I can't do that.”

“I don’t know why we are here, but I’m pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.”

“A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards; as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.”

“Where two principles really do meet which cannot be reconciled with one another, then each man declares the other a fool and a heretic.”

“The limits of my language means the limits of my world.”

“If a lion could talk, we could not understand him.”

“One often makes a remark and only later sees how true it is.”

“Not how the world is, but that it is, is the mystery.”

“It is true: Man is the microcosm:
I am my world.”

“We are asleep. Our Life is a dream. But we wake up sometimes, just enough to know that we are dreaming.”

“Don't for heaven's sake, be afraid of talking nonsense! But you must pay attention to your nonsense.”

“If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.”

“Only describe, don't explain.”

“Don't think, but look!”

“How small a thought it takes to fill a life.”

“Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present.”

“I sit astride life like a bad rider on a horse. I only owe it to the horse's good nature that I am not thrown off at this very moment.”

“Nothing is so difficult as not deceiving oneself.”

“If you and I are to live religious lives, it mustn't be that we talk a lot about religion, but that our manner of life is different. It is my belief that only if you try to be helpful to other people will you in the end find your way to God.”

“It is a dogma of the Roman Church that the existence of God can be proved by natural reason. Now this dogma would make it impossible for me to be a Roman Catholic. If I thought of God as another being like myself, outside myself, only infinitely more powerful, then I would regard it as my duty to defy him.”

“Make sure that your religion is a matter between you and God only.”

“The primary question about life after death is not whether it is a fact, but even if it is, what problems that really solves.”

No comments: