Friday, March 22, 2013

Lucky Egg

I cracked open an egg this morning and found it contained a double yolk. Are double yolks lucky? The last time that happened to me was on September 30, 2010. I know because I posted a picture of it.

I read about someone who cracked open a jumbo hen’s egg and found inside it not only a double yolk but another egg complete with shell: an egg inside an egg. I have to ask, “Where’s the quality control? These chickens are getting out of hand.”

Egg shells are not just white or brown; there are varieties of hens that lay eggs in other colors: blue, blue-green, green, turquoise, and lavender. Regardless of the shell’s color, the yolks are yellow-orange. Good thing, too. Dr. Seuss may enjoy green eggs and ham, but I would have to pass.

It’s time for a roof update. I hired a new roofer named Timothy. He’s the third contractor in thirty days to examine my roof for a leak. The first was Jesús, the man in charge of the crew that re-shingled my roof. He diagnosed the leak but would never return to make the repair. Next was Ed, who came to my house three times to squirt caulking here and there but did not stop the leak.

Timothy tells me what Jesús told me, which is that the L-flashing along the dormer wall must be replaced with step flashing. I agree that L-flashing should never have been used in that location. Furthermore, everything Ed did with the caulking gun has only made matters worse. Openings in the dormer trim that are there to allow rainwater to drain out from behind the trim were caulked over, damming rainwater behind the vinyl where it will find a way into my house instead of running out across the shingles. Timothy said he can fix it. He gave me an estimate and said he will be here tomorrow, Saturday, to do the work.

Maybe my double yolk will turn out to be a lucky egg; maybe I’ve found a roofer who is both competent and keeps his word. Maybe I’ll have a roof that is both new and doesn’t leak. I have my fingers crossed.

[Update: It is noon Saturday. Timothy and a helper arrived at 9 AM. They worked on the roof for three hours. They’re confident they have fixed the leak.]

No comments: