Saturday, March 15, 2014

Catching Up

It’s day five since I wrote on my blog. I’ve been busy writing – just not here. Lots of stuff has happened in the world. For instance, the disappearance of Malaysian Airlines flight 370 has been in the news a lot. The TV journalists are calling its disappearance “unprecedented.” If by that they mean it’s the first Boeing 777 jet to disappear, they may be correct. I say “may” because the search is not over and the plane may yet be found. But if they mean it’s the first passenger plane to disappear without a trace, then I say, “Not so fast.” In fact, in December, 2010, I wrote about a missing airliner. I invite you to read about it here.

Meanwhile, here in central Virginia it’s 71° and sunny. I just returned from walking in the park across the street. I walked its asphalt figure-8 path for 40 minutes. Some kind of mineral mixed into the asphalt made the asphalt glint and sparkle in the sun as though there were tiny diamonds mixed into it. I walk to get in shape for the upcoming grass-mowing season. Spring, the vernal equinox, will be upon us in five days (March 20). But winter isn’t finished with us. Weather forecasters are calling for snow and sleet on Monday night, Tuesday, and Tuesday night. Monday’s high temperature is forecast to be 34°.

I received an email from my Congressman. He lamented the cold winter and the high cost of home heating. Then, trying to be helpful, I suppose, he told me I could keep my house warmer by opening the blinds on sunny days to let in sunlight. Yes, Congressman, opening the blinds on sunny days is a great idea for cutting my heating bill. I’ll go outside right now and rip the awnings off my home.

BZZZZ – thank you for playing. But I’ll stick with central heat until the day comes that the price of heating oil drives me to Florida. Now, go and read about that plane.

No comments: