Monday, March 10, 2014

Tokelau

Tokelau consists of three atolls in the South Pacific located 300 miles (483 km) north of Samoa. Tokelau’s total land area is 4.6 sq miles (12 sq km). Its population numbers about 1400 people. They speak Tokelauan.

“E â mai koe?” (How are you?) 
“Ko au e mâlohi.” (I am well.)

I don’t know what Tokelauan cuisine is like, but I suspect it contains a lot of fish. I mean, a lot of fish. And coconuts.

“Mom, what’s for dinner?”
”Fish. And for dessert, coconut.”
“Again?!!”

There is a Miss Tokelau contest. This is Meleka Mativa, Miss Tokelau 2010.

And here she is appearing in the Sarong and Talent competition at the Miss South Pacific Pageant.

I would have shown you the current Miss Tokelau, but when I ran a Google search for “current Miss Tokelau” I found a surprising dearth of information on the subject.

On the Internet, Tokelau has its own country code: tk. And they have a domain name registrar: Dot.tk. And that brings me to why I got interested in Tokelau in the first place. Dot.tk will give you a free domain name. Sure, lots of web hosting companies offer a “free” domain name if you buy one of their web hosting plans. It’s not really free; they simply roll the domain name fee into the web hosting fee. But Dot.tk really will give you a free domain name, no strings attached. You can configure it for domain forwarding, or map it to an existing URL, or use it for your own website. How cool is that?

I know what you’re thinking: “What the hell is he talking about?” Well, trust me, it’s pretty cool.

No comments: