Friday, July 17, 2015

Brave New World

Just got my Jeep inspected. It’s golden through next July. While I was sitting in the “lobby” of the small garage waiting for the inspection to be completed, a television was turned on to a random morning talk show that was showing pictures of Caitlyn Jenner. I couldn’t hear what was being said on the TV, but the conversation among the men in the room where I sat was definitely a mixture of bafflement and disapproval.

But I don’t care what Jenner does. A man wants to be a woman, I’m okay with that. A woman wants to be a man, I’m okay with that, too. A man says he’s a giraffe, I won’t argue with him. Live and let live. Everyone deserves a chance to be happy. As long as your being happy doesn’t interfere with my being happy, you can be a man, a woman, or an android named Data for all I care.

The Roman philosopher Cicero would say (in fact, did say), “O tempora! O mores!” (Oh the times! Oh the customs!) I’m sure many people feel like saying something similar.

The world has changed much since I was born. In the immortal words of Aldous Huxley, we are living in a brave new world. It’s not entirely clear what this new world will look like, but let’s hope it turns out to be an improvement on the old one, the one that gave us fanaticism and crusades and world wars and racism and oppression and zealotry and homophobia and witch burnings and slavery. A lot of us are tired of that one.

No comments: