Thursday, January 7, 2016

Winter Weight

Every year as winter approaches, I gain weight. From the first of October to the end of November, I put on about 15 pounds. First, I get hungry. I begin to crave carbs: pizza, bread, pasta, and anything in a bun. The extra weight takes the form of extra fat around my middle. When spring comes, I lose the extra weight.

I feel like I’m part squirrel. Squirrels do the same thing: as winter approaches, they will increase their fat reserves by up to a quarter of their body weight to help keep them warm during the coldest months.

Because their bodies are increasing their fat reserves, naturally squirrels will be eating more food. But what will happen if, as winter approaches, you put the squirrel in a cage and refuse to increase his available food? Scientists have done that. What happens is, the squirrel will still increase his fat reserves, but he will break down muscle mass and internal organs in order to create the additional fat. The winter squirrel doesn’t get fatter because it eats more. Rather, it eats more because it is getting fatter.

I’m fairly sure my body is doing the same thing. Let me be clear: I don’t like to overeat – I only do it because my body makes me. So there. No guilt. Pass me that bowl of nuts, please.

No comments: