Friday, September 1, 2017

Changes

I made a strategic decision last night. I plopped a basket of clean laundry onto my bed and I turned to the dresser, and I considered doing what I always do. I always fold my underwear, both my shorts and my t-shirts, and I even pair up my socks. But why? So they don’t get wrinkly? So they look neat? No one will know if they have wrinkles – they’re under my clothes. No one will care if they look neat inside my dresser. So I grabbed handfuls of underwear and stuffed them inside the dresser drawers. I felt liberated. Well, a tiny bit liberated.

This morning I decided to eat a healthy breakfast. No bacon. No pork sausage. Not even eggs. I ate a bowl of strawberries and blueberries. I followed that with a banana. And I followed the banana with an apple pie. Notice I didn’t say slice of apple pie. I want to be healthy, but there are limits. I’ll make up for breakfast with a super-healthy lunch: pork BBQ and slaw on a burger bun with a side of potato chips. “What’s healthy about BBQ and potato chips?” you ask. I’ll tell you: no pie. It so happens that I’m out of pie. Somebody in the house ate the whole thing. What makes that bad is, I’m pretty sure I live alone.

No comments: