Saturday, September 2, 2017

The KMBD

I read that there are so many unexploded WW2 bombs in Germany that the country has its own bomb disposal unit. It’s called the Kampfmittelbeseitigungsdienst (KMBD). I swear I did not make up that name, but somebody did and what is wrong with their brain?

According to Google Translate, Kampfmittelbeseitigungsdienst means Explosive Ordinance Disposal Service. It takes four English words to translate that one German word. I frankly believe nouns should have no more than three syllables. If a word needs more than three syllables, just make it two words. Or three, or four. I can’t even count the syllables in Kampfmittelbeseitigungsdienst. I also have no idea how to pronounce Kampfmittelbeseitigungsdienst. I just think it’s fun to use the word. Some things just pique my sense of whimsy.

The article said that about 2000 tons of unexploded ordinance are found in Germany every year. The technicians of the (I’ll give you a break here) KMDB dispose of a bomb about every two weeks, and they estimate their work will continue for decades. And it’s dangerous work. In the decades after the war, dozens of bomb-disposal technicians and hundreds of civilians were killed in encounters with unexploded ordinance. And it’s not getting easier. As the years pass, the explosives become more unstable. Despite precautions, better tools, and better training, 11 technicians have been killed in Germany since 2000.

Sounds like an excellent job for a robot. Somebody should look into that.

No comments: