Saturday, March 28, 2020

Grocery Shopping in the Era of Hoarding

I stay indoors in self-isolation for the week. (Not because of the pandemic. It's just my lifestyle these days.)

Then comes Saturday and I feel the need to run out to the grocery store. I know Walmart will be slammed, so I go to a Food Lion. Business there is so-so, but I have to wonder...

Do people in this city not keep anything in stock at their homes? These shelves held toilet paper and paper towels. Notice they are empty.They were fully stocked this morning. Is there an epidemic of diarrhea?

And this freezer held ... who knows what? It's all gone now. Nothing left but price tags.

I suppose this is the way it is all across the country. Hoarders come into the store and buy up everything. Even when their own home is groaning under the weight of months worth of food, toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer, and more, the hoarders are not satisfied. I hear their chants:

Must have more!
Must have all of it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Cousin Gator has been stashing cargo for several years, had couple cases of TB on hand before the ZA hit. His GF asked, "What you need all of that for????" He answered, "you never know when today is the day before you can't get anything any longer." Guess it's apparent, now.
Cheers!
CD