Thursday, December 3, 2020

Dance

Morning arrives. I get out of bed, I eat, I go back to bed for some more zzz's. Phone call. Glasses are ready for pickup. Up again and drive to Walmart. Try on glasses. Adjust frames. Leave store, drive home. Tell my guest we're going for a ride. We go to the Jeep and I drive down to the river.

Looking upstream into the afternoon sun.
This is another part of the greenway, maybe a mile further up the river from where my previous walk on the greenway took place. It's closer to the river.

A few cars are parked around the area, but only a man pushing a boy in a wheelchair are visible. The other people have probably walked out of sight. The greenway goes this way and that way, so you don't have to walk far to get out of sight.

The river looks muddy, but there are plenty of fish in that water. And there are plenty of ducks and geese on the river.

The leaves that remain on the trees have lost most of their color and won't be on the trees much longer. The high temperature today was in the mid-50s. The sunshine made it comfortable. Still, a light jacket or hoodie was necessary to be really comfortable. 

The Appomattox River flows down to the James River and thence to the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic. I've made the trip down and back more than once. In fact, I've blogged about a few of those trips. They were memorable, and not in a good way.

We leave the river and drive toward my home. I stop at a friend's house on the way home and we spend an hour with him and his Shih Tzu named Lizzy before we continue on our way home.

Eventually suppertime arrives. My guest fries pork chops that she batters with beaten egg and bread crumbs, while I stir-fry pieces of white onion in a wok with a little sesame oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and red pepper flakes. When the onion starts to become translucent around the edges, I dump baby spinach leaves into the wok and continue stirring until the leaves are wilted down. The meal is very good. Tomorrow night I'll make the same dish but I'll use hoisin sauce instead of oyster sauce. Because, why not?

After dinner I make a fire and turn down the room light. The mood is cozy. I put on some music and my friend stands up and walks to me and takes my hand. We dance. In the middle of my living room, lit by the glow of flickering firelight, we dance. I've danced with women in my life, but I can't recall slow dancing in my living room with firelight setting the mood. I should do that more often. Maybe everyone should.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings

I'm delighted your holiday has been so rewarded with a wonderful guest. It sounds lovely to have someone to go places and enjoy outings with. I've enjoyed your blogs about your special meals and new, exciting cooking adventures. You're an awesome writer and a very courageous man -- I admire your willingness to open your life and put some zing into your days.

Thanks for sharing ---

LL

Anonymous said...

Wow! How can a person can turn you life for good things that maybe you did in the past but you forgot or maybe you never have experienced. Your friend have been doing a great job. I hope she will stay.
Great blog as always. Enjoyable!
TA

gatorontheday said...

Enjoy life........... Dance Yoda!