Saturday, December 12, 2020

I'll Be Back!

What person who has seen the film The Terminator can forget Arnold Schwarzenegger's character, the Terminator, and his classic line, "I'll be back!"?

One day, perhaps, I'll look up from my death bed to the people around me, and I'll tell them, "I'll be back!" Because I will. All of us will be back. Again, and again, and again, until we get it right.

Each of us is playing a role in the longest running drama of all time: creation.  We're babies in this creation and we have to learn. Said William Shakespeare in As You Like It:

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts...

Make of that what you will. In this world we are all mere players. We have our exits and our entrances. We have our roles to play.

We begin as novices with much to learn. We make mistakes, but we learn and we remember. As lifetimes pass, we make fewer mistakes, and the mistakes that we make are more subtle. Still we learn, because we experience the consequences first-hand. The only way we can learn is to try, fail, and try again.

Have you ever met someone who seemed much wiser than their years on Earth? Have you ever met someone and thought, "That person is an old soul"? If you have, that person very likely was an old soul.

I'm climbing a long, long ladder. Those who understand me are near me on the ladder. Those who do not understand are far below me on the ladder. But those who are far above me on the ladder are the "old souls." They have learned lessons I have yet to encounter. 

We choose our lifetimes; we choose our lessons. We're not thrown into the struggle without thought or reason. We're given a life that offers us a chance to learn a lesson—a chance to evolve spiritually. What may seem pointless now, does have a point. What may seem random now, was carefully planned before we were born, in a timeless epoch that is our true home. There is a reason things may seem random and senseless, and the reason is that we can see only one page in the middle of a long novel. First we trust, and eventually we know, that the other pages are there. 

For your life to make sense, you have to trust. "What goes around comes around" is a modern version of a verse from Galatians, "for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." Wisdom is timeless and Truth will always prevail at the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The spiritual world is beautiful if we know how to understand it because is very complicated and this world amazes me, It always have been calling my attention and that is why I believe in angels.
I love your blog and excellent lesson!
TA