Sunday, July 25, 2021

Guanacaste Day

Today (it's late evening now) is/was Guanacaste Day in Costa Rica. On this day, Costa Ricans celebrate the annexation of the Partido de Nicoya to Costa Rica that occurred on July 25, 1824. You can read about the Annexation of Nicoya here and read about Guanacaste Day here

I'm not a history buff. History was my worst subject in school. I hated history. I thought it was deadly dull and boring. But judging from the photo, it appears that Costa Rica has some very pretty young women, and I'm in favor of that. Pretty young women are a great redeeming factor when you're celebrating a holiday for which most people are probably somewhat hazy about the details. I suggest Costa Ricans should also have street vendors selling Guaro. If Guaro is too sour for you, try a Chiliguaro or even just a beer. Beer in Spanish is cerveza. If you're going to be drinking cervezas, you'll need to know the Spanish word for bathroom, which is baño. That's pronounced bahn-yo. Just say baño and any Costa Rican will know what you mean.

It's time to say goodnight. I've done my daily Spanish language lesson, I've mowed my lawn and done a bit of trimming with the string trimmer until the string broke off inside the hub and I decided to come in and fix the string and finish the job tomorrow, weather permitting. Have a good day and I'll see you when I see you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Greetings
Thanks for the tidbits -- I agree pretty people make anything more fun. I also like the information on the various words I would need in CR but by the time I get there I will probably forget them.
Looks like a fun day --
Fixing the string on a weed eater to me is far worse than studying history.
Have a great day -
LL

Anonymous said...

Buenos días! I know this is a great day for this country. I remember when I visited a few years ago, they celebrated it with marimbas, a percussion instrument typical of Guanacaste region, people also cook corn on the cob, corn tortillas, picadillos (chopped potatoes with meat), chicha which is a beberage made with corn and they ferment for days before they drink it. I remember about its history that Nicoya was part of Costa Rica and Nicaragua stole it, at that time Costa Rica had a small army and they fought for that land, so Nicaragua had to return it to Costa Rica. I don't like history either but when I visit places, I like to know a little bit of history and geography. Guaro and chiliguaro are alcoholic drinks from this country and I know for sure that bano and cerveza are the main words that a tourist learn at first. Nice of you thinking about this country. Good luck with your trimmer and strings, it will be a challenge for me to fix it.
Very nice blog
TA