Saturday, July 31, 2021

Choices

A fertility clinic in San Francisco had an equipment failure and 2,000 frozen eggs and embryos may have been compromised. Another fertility clinic in Cleveland had a similar failure that same weekend that compromised 4,000 eggs and embryos. Women who wanted a baby in later life may be out of luck. Naturally, lawsuits are pending. 

When I saw this on the news, I had an imaginary conversation with an imaginary wannabe future mom. “If you want to have a baby, better have it now,” I told her.

“But I want a career, too,” she replied. “I shouldn’t have to choose between a baby and a career.” 

“That’s what life is: choices. We make little choices and big choices all the time. Do I get pizza or hamburger for lunch? Choose wrong and you may get indigestion. Should I marry or not marry, should I choose this person or that person? Choose wrong and you could live a lifetime of regret. Life is a long series of choices.”

“But it’s not fair,” she said. “Those eggs were supposed to be there when I want a baby. Now they’re gone. I’ve lost my future child. Somebody has to pay.”

“I’m sure they will pay, but it’s only money. That is no substitute for a baby you can hold, a child of your own.” The imaginary conversation slowly faded and reality returned. 

As Aldous Huxley said in his 1932 novel Brave New World
And as Mark Twain said in his 1884 novel Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
And as a cartoon in Punch said in 1846...
“You pays your money and you takes your choice.” 

Sometimes the wording is changed to “You pays yer money and you takes yer chances,” which is a variation that I favor. Life is choices, and choices entail risk. You may bet right, but you may bet wrong. So you’d best decide, before you bet, that if you can have only one outcome of the bet, which would you prefer it to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Buenos días. Choices are very difficult to make in our lives. Many times we choose wrong but we think that we did right. God gives us free wheel to choose. Only our experiences and ups and downs in our lives allow us to grow spiritually and make us strong.
"Life presents many choices, the choices we make determine our future". Catherine Pulsifer
Great job Mr. VW!
TA