Monday, December 6, 2021

Expiration

Central Virginia, Monday, December 6. The outside temperature is 72°F. The sky is sunny, the air is breezy. Clouds are on the way. Change is coming.

Forecast for Tuesday, December 7. High temperature: 41°F. Snow likely. 

That's how it is in winter in central Virginia. One day you can take a nice walk around the park in sunshine. The next day you go outside and freeze your buttocks off. So stay inside. If you can.

Nuria is going through my kitchen cabinets and cleaning out food items that she thinks are expired. This has prompted some disagreements. I say that white flour lasts forever; she disagrees. I have flour that is twenty years old. If you make bread or a cake with old flour, shouldn't the heat of baking kill any germs?

Another item had an expiration date of 2005. I let that one go to the trash can. Some items are not worth an argument.

I had perfectly good brown sugar that she wanted to throw away, just because it had become as rock hard as concrete. I argued that we could break off a piece of the sugar with a hammer and chisel. She disagreed. So we tossed it.

Nothing really expires on the date listed on the package, except for garden salad. The manufacturer always includes some leeway, just to make sure it's still good on the expiration date. So, let's say that something I bought in 2016 has an expiration date of 2019. We know it's still good in 2021. Don't we? Because that's the theory I've been using. For example, I just drank a glass of water with psyllium fiber that expired in 2019. And I feel okay. I still feel okay. I feel...somewhat okay. I feel...excuse me. I have to go now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! You really made me laugh. I love your sense of humor.
I can not imagine Nuria making a cake using flour or baking powder that are twenty years old.
She probably is going to do more cleaning, be prepared and good luck with your stomach, hopefully, your fiber is still good.
It was a good one like always.
Take care and continue having fun.
TA

Anonymous said...

Greetings

What a great story -- I think these types of questions go on in everyone's home. I'm with Nuria on the flour ---but I have the brown sugar also hard as a rock -it doesn't take long to get that way.

Enjoy the new beginnings of starting all over with condiments and cooking --baking ingredients. At least you won't have to worry for another 20 years.

It's always a mystery to me as to how long things should be kept --

Best LL