Friday, October 14, 2022

The Truist Transfer Part 2

This story begins with my previous post, titled "My Current Aggravation: The Truist Transfer Part 1."

To recap, I deposited a bank check at a Truist bank branch, and they mishandled the check. They treated the check as a check drawn on a U.S. bank, when actually it was a check drawn on a foreign bank, which resulted in the check becoming misdirected. (Actually, Truist destroyed the paper check, but it still maintains a digital representation of the check that contains the check's information.) 

So, thinking it was a U.S. bank check, they put the check into the Federal banking system. That didn't work, because there is no National Bank of Costa Rica in the Federal banking system. So the bank reversed the transaction.

When the bank reversed the transaction, they took the check money out of my account ($14,367.36). But they didn't phone me, or send me an email, or do any communication to me to explain why they took the money from my account. The money just disappeared. So Nuria and I went to the bank on a Saturday morning, a few days after the money disappeared, and spoke with a banker named Mr. Graham. He listened and promised to get back to me.

Wednesday came.  At 10AM, Nuria and I went to Truist again. Mr. Graham wasn't in his office. I asked to speak to the lead manager, and they directed me to a woman I'll call Ms. Skipper. Her business card says she is the Vice President of the branch. She seemed nice and competent, but I knew my situation would not be high on the bank's list of priorities. Ms. Skipper said she would look into the matter and get back to me.

Thursday came. I sent Ms. Skipper an email asking if there had been any progress in my case. She responded right away, and said there had been no progress.

Friday came (today). I sent Ms. Skipper another email and suggested that in the interest of good customer service they should immediately deposit the amount of the check into my account. After all, it was the bank's mistake that caused me to lose the money. Then, when they go through the process and do whatever they have to do in order to recover the funds, they can keep the money they get from the check. We'll all be square, I'll be happier, and Truist won't even notice anything went awry.

Wait, did I just suggest that a big corporation would treat its customers fairly and reimburse money that they caused a customer to lose? I have to step outside. I obviously need fresh air.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DT7bX-B1Mg

Anonymous said...

Greetings

OMG --- I believe this is a nightmare for you both. I can't imagine the bank depositing the funds and waiting on theirs -- especially as you stated in your previous post about how fishy they are.

Most people wouldn't stand a chance getting this taken care of but I have faith that with your knowledge and perseverance you will succeed in getting your money soon.

And I see an absence of your name on the list of the banks members in the future.

Good luck with this terrible situation.

Best, LL

Anonymous said...

Hello!

What a mess! I just hope this problem be solved soon and in good way for you.

I don't understand how come you showed up at the bank Wednesday morning and you still have not heard from them with an answer. I thought that only in my country people work as turtles. What a shame!

I also hope that you don't lose faith on them after this.

TA