Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Special Spinach

I just made lunch for this middle-of-the-week day. Burger patties broiled under the oven broiler, topped with Worcestershire sauce and onion rings caramelized in a wok with extra virgin olive oil, and special spinach. I invented my special spinach recipe, but that doesn’t mean other people haven’t also invented it. It may have been invented hundreds of times by hundreds of people.

Caramelizing the onion rings cooks the sugar in the onion and brings out the sweetness and flavor. The dish below is three servings.

DSCF1552

I start special spinach by cutting up half an onion. I cook the onion in a wok with peanut oil, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, and a liberal sprinkling of red pepper flakes. Before the onion is fully cooked I add a bag of baby spinach. I add cooking sherry to steam the spinach, turning it over and over with a wooden spoon until it’s wilted.

DSCF1557

Good to the last bite!

No comments: