Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year

It’s January 1 and everyone seems relieved to have made it through 2011. Maybe 2012 will bring better fortune to the world. January is named after the Roman god Janus, the god of beginnings and endings. A lot of us could use a new beginning.

Last night I dreamed a strange dream. It was long and winding, but the strange part was this: during a part of my dream, I dreamed I was dreaming. For most of my dream, I wasn’t aware I was dreaming, but when I dreamed I was dreaming, I was aware I was dreaming. I tried hard to make myself wake up and couldn’t. Finally, I did wake up, but of course I was back in my original dream which I thought was reality.

And now I’m fully awake. I think. I could be wrong. Perhaps my life has been one long dream. Perhaps only death brings true awakening.

That would explain a lot.

No comments: