Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Second Snowfall

Snow falls in the dark outside my window. The temperature is 18° out there, and it’s been below freezing all day, so every flake sticks to the ground. The yard and street are already a sheet of white. It’s the second snowfall we’ve had in a week. The previous snowfall was six days ago. I blogged about it here.

Yesterday’s high temperature was 70°. Yes, yesterday. Tonight’s low will be 14°. Tomorrow (Wednesday) night the low will be 10°. But this weekend we’ll be above 50°. Crazy.

The thermostat is set at 67° and the house is colder than I like. I used to turn the heat down at night and back up in the morning, but that made the heat run a long time every morning. So I began wondering if I was really saving money. This winter, I set it to 67° and left it there.

Last night I put a pork loin into my slow cooker, sprinkled it with salt and pepper, added a cup of vinegar, and set the cooker to low (which, for a slow cooker, is still pretty hot, but not boiling hot). This morning I awoke to find the house filled with the delicious aroma of pork barbeque. I removed the loin  from the cooker and put it on a platter and pulled the meat apart with a pair of forks. To the liquid in the slow cooker – mostly vinegar – I added brown sugar, hot sauce, and red pepper flakes. I stirred it and poured some of it over the pulled pork and mixed it in. Then I put some of the freshly made ‘cue on a bun and topped it with slaw before adding the other half of the bun. Was it good? Oh, yeah! I don’t think it’s possible to make bad barbecue. But you can sure mess it up with bad barbecue sauce.

It’s 11 PM. I’ll hit the Publish button and then watch some toob for a while. A thought: TVs don’t  have tubes in them now, so can I still call the TV a toob? Hmm. I guess I can. I doubt “Let’s watch some flatscreen” will ever catch on.

No comments: