Sunday, May 31, 2015

Nutritional Food

I stopped into a grocery store to buy pastrami and rye so I could make – what else – pastrami sandwiches. The store is one I shop at only occasionally, so I’m not very familiar with its layout. I got the pastrami and the rye bread, and I was hunting for a jar of dill pickle spears. As I walked past the aisles I was reading the food signs above each aisle, and I saw a sign that listed, among other things, “Nutritional Food.”

My thoughts instantly turned to: What?  They’re putting nutrition into food now? This store not only sells regular food, it sells food with nutrition in it! Does the government know about this? Is the government behind it? Will this spread to other stores? Soon all the food we buy may have nutrition!

I had to see what sort of food comes with a claim of built-in nutrition, so I walked down the aisle. And there it was: nutritional food. If you had made me guess beforehand what nutritional food is, I would never have guessed that it would be what I saw. What did I see?

I’m not telling unless someone leaves a comment. “Tell us, VirtualWayne, what manner of fodder was the store foisting off as having nutrition?” But use your own words. Then maybe I’ll tell you. Yup, I’m in a mood today.

No comments: