Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Who You Callin’ Cisgender?

Ever heard the word cisgender? (Sometimes it’s abbreviated cis.) I’ve seen it and never bothered to look it up until today. It must be a word that was invented in recent years. Here is what it means, according to Google:

Cisgender is a term for people whose gender identity matches the sex that they were assigned at birth.

Wait, what? I was assigned a sex at birth? I thought I was born a baby boy. I admit to not giving it a lot of thought, but I thought a baby boy would be kind of obvious, especially with the whole circumcision thing. Now it seems there may be something fishy going on. A vision of my hospital’s delivery room pops into my mind.

Doctor: “What should we make this baby — a boy or a girl?”

Nurse: “We made the last one a girl so let’s make this one a boy.”

Doctor: “Okay. Put the baby into the gender assignment machine and make sure it’s set to boy.”

Nurse: “Will do, doctor. Turning the machine on now.”

Machine: nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-Waaaaahhhh!!!-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh…

Nurse: “Here you go, doctor. A brand new baby boy. Turning the machine off now.”

Machine: Nuh-nuh-nuh-nuuuuuuhhhhh………

And just like that, a new baby boy is born. Excuse me, I meant to say assigned. Welcome to modern times.

No comments: