Monday, October 14, 2019

The Cat

I went to the store for “supplies” and when I drove my Jeep back into the garage, I didn’t see the kitten sitting in front of the garage door. I had to get out of my car to open the garage door because the remote died years ago. As the door began opening, I saw the kitten—and the little critter immediately ran into my garage. Damn it!

It’s night. It’s raining. It’s cold. And I can’t enter my house because I have a cat in my garage. I think it was seeking shelter from the rain. But now it’s just a problem.

I spent about 10 minutes attempting to entice the cat out of the garage. I made cat sounds—or what, to my human brain, I thought cat sounds would sound like. Keep in mind that it was raining. And cold. And I had no umbrella or raincoat. I just got wetter and wetter.

Finally my patience was exhausted. I grabbed a long pole that was just inside the garage door and prodded the cat out of the garage. It tried to get back in. I prodded it back out. Now repeat the previous two sentences about twenty times. In. Out. In. Out. In. Out. Etc.

I didn’t want to hurt the little feline, but finally I had enough of standing in the rain. I had enough of this back-and-forth. Yep, I did just what YOU would have done. I booted the little pussy about 8 feet into the yard. It promptly got up and headed back to the garage door again. Once again, I used my foot to defend my garage entrance. The cat landed 8 feet away and promptly got up and charged my garage entrance.

My predicament was that I wanted the cat away from my garage, but I didn’t want to hurt it. So I couldn’t kick it as hard as I would have liked. The garage door closes slowly enough that the cat could slink back into the garage. Unless, that is, it was a good distance from the door.

I won the battle. The cat was still meowing at me as I left the garage and entered my house. I guess it sucks to be a cat. If it hangs around my house long enough, it’s quite possible I will adopt it. We will see what happens.

No comments: