Thursday, February 27, 2020

The City Focus

Periodically, my city government sends out a very thin pamphlet to its citizens. It’s called the City Focus. It has 3 pages stapled together down the center and then folded to make 6 pages. And if you count the front and back covers as numbered pages, then it has 12 numbered pages. If you remove the staples, you’re back to 3 pieces of paper.

I received the most recent City Focus in the mail today. I flipped through it and noticed the city wants us to vote. In fact, the city has notified its Democratic voters, by means of the City Focus, that the deadline for registering to vote in the primary next Tuesday is February 10. Today is February 27th. If I wanted to vote in the Democratic primary, the only way I could register is by using a time machine. I don’t have a time machine but obviously the city thinks I do. Small wonder my personal property tax bill is so large.

(Now maybe I’m being overly suspicious, but I wonder, do you think the Republicans running city government intentionally waited until the registration date had passed before sending out a reminder to register?)

There’s more good news. Voters can vote in the Democratic primary with an absentee ballot. The only catch is that voters must apply online, or by fax or mail, by February 25th. That was the day before yesterday. I’m starting to sense a trend.

The city has a website. On their website, there is a form that allows you to ask the city a question. I’ve used it to ask questions but I’ve never received a reply. Imagine the money the city saves by pretending to offer services it doesn’t really offer. In fact, the city saved so much money that it was able to build a new courthouse it didn’t really need.

However, if you’re ever late paying your water bill, see how long it takes the city to shut off your water. Suddenly, you’re the city’s focus.

No comments: