Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Popcorn

Nuria and I often split a bag of popcorn. Question: why does it take algebra to figure out how many calories we consume?

First, why is the bag defined as three and a half servings? It's arbitrary, so why not make it three servings or four servings? It would make the math easier.

Or, why not make the serving size 1 bag? Why make it 2 tablespoons? How many tablespoons of popcorn are in the bag? We don't know. We only know it's 3.5 servings.

So we have to do the math. 

One serving = 130 calories. One bag = 3.5 servings. Therefore one bag =  455 calories.

I eat about 60% of the bag of popcorn and Nuria eats about 40%. So I consume 455 calories x 0.6 which equals 273 calories. Nuria consumes 455 calories x 0.4 which equals 182 calories.

(Obviously, the company has decided that one serving equals 91 calories. But why? Why not 90 calories? Why not 100? They're the people who put the popcorn and oil into the bag. Are they just messing with us?)

It looks like the company is trying to obfuscate the number of calories we are consuming. Even at this point, I'm not sure I've done the math correctly. They don't need to print a calorie label on the box. They need to glue a calculator to the box. With instructions.

Just a suggestion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings

I was so hoping to read a post of yours soon !! I miss them !!

It's so much fun to read the serving information and calorie countdown on products. To me it's like a huge story you read while consuming it --no matter what it says. I completely agree it needs to be completely revamped and made simpler for 99.9999% of us!!!

Great post -- more please!! Not popcorn !!

Best, LL