Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Valentine Gift

It's Tuesday, February 7, 2023. A week from now will be Valentine's Day. So I wanted to pick up a few gifts for my partner, Nuria. I asked her about rings and necklaces and if she wanted to go with me to a jewelry store to look at some. She said no, she didn't want jewelry. 

So yesterday I drove to a store and bought three items I thought she might like. I was guessing, of course, but I had reason to think she would like the items I bought.

I returned home and presented the first item to her. "I just bought one of those," she replied.

I presented the second item to her. "I just bought one of those, too," she replied.

In baseball, three strikes and you're out.

I presented the third item to her. She loved it.

It was something for the kitchen, simple and inexpensive: a Ninja Fit blender. I would describe it to you, but everyone knows what a blender is and how it works. This one works very well. As it happens, I recently began a juice diet (a partial diet for now; I still eat some solid food) so the juicer will be used by both of us.

I know what you're thinking—"You bought her a cheap juicer? Cheapskate!"

My response is: "What did you expect me to buy her—a car?" Well, as it so happens, I did help her buy a car just last month, after her previous vehicle was wrecked by a driver who drove into her car. Insurance paid for most of the cost of the replacement car, but Nuria and I each chipped in a substantial amount to get the car she wanted. But that's another story.

Now, I don't mind spending money on a gift, it's just that I'm lazy and I hate shopping. And I have little imagination, so I can't imagine what a woman would want in terms of a gift. Plus, all women are different. And what man can figure out the female brain? Scientists can't do it. Ordinary men can't do it. As far as I know, only advice columnists can decode the female mind, and I don't know any of those. Advice columnists, that is.

But all in all, I'm thankful there is a Valentine's Day, or else I wouldn't have such a nice blender to make smoothies. I meant to say, Nuria wouldn't have such a nice blender. That I can borrow to make smoothies.

I purchased a blender for my kitchen a few years ago, but it's the kind that separates the solids from the liquid. I think drinking the peel with the juice is probably healthier than just drinking the juice. And the old blender takes longer to clean after using it. I have to disassemble it and clean each part with a brush, then let the parts dry, then reassemble it. Cleaning the new blender is basically a rinse-and-let-dry operation. 

But now I have to start planning. Nuria has a birthday in June, and Christmas is only 321 days away. I barely have time to think of her next gift before it's time to give it to her. I guess it's inherited. My dad was exactly the same way. Every Christmas, he would drive to a nearby drugstore late on Christmas Eve and buy my mother something simple like panties. I was just a kid and still I felt bad for my mother. She bought gifts for everyone. And wrapped them, and put them under the tree. She deserved better. But dad was a hard-working, hard-drinking man, who did such things as gift-buying at the very last minute. I think he knew better, and I can't believe he didn't feel some remorse over his last minute Christmas shopping.

I guess I inherited some of my dad's DNA. In fact, I know I did: half of my DNA is his. As for my mother, she was a worrier, and I inherited that. I worry about buying gifts. There should be someone I can pay to gift-shop for me. But then, they would surely end up buying the wrong things, and I'm already good at doing that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings

What a nice post -- how thoughtful you are to worry about gifts for Nuria !! That alone is a gift knowing you want to buy just the right one. I imagine she would be pleased with just about anything you decide upon.
The blender is a super gift --- I always prefer practical gifts. And it keeps on giving!

June birthdays are the best and I can attest to that -- I prefer garden gifts that I can see from the window as I sit at my computer. A bird bath or feeder--yard things--shovel, gloves --a bag of large round stones -- a new mail box is always nice too --

I don't care for jewelry either and will always go for something for the house or yard !!

It's more fun to plan the gift --- and let go of the worry as to whether it's the right one. It's truly the thought that counts.

Once I was married and the husband asked me to make a list of things for Christmas I wanted. So I made this elaborate list from inexpensive to expensive -- and surely didn't suspect that at Christmastime he bought every item on the list and gave them to me in bags as he walked in the door from shopping -- NOW that is a Christmas I will never forget -- he said he didn't know which item to get so he got them all. Nevertheless, I did enjoy each of them but more importantly I appreciated his careful thoughtfulness to get all of them.
Yes, it must be hard for men !! A gift card is always nice too. Flowers and chocolates are always in style !!
Good luck -it's been fun helping you plan!

Happy Birthday June to Nuria !! and me

Best, LL

Anonymous said...

Hello!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to everyone.

Great job and lovely gift.

Thank you!

TA