Wednesday, March 22, 2023

A Weighty Matter

In my last blog post I talked about Donald Trump. Today I want to talk about something important—something much more important than Trump. I want to talk about body weight.

For the past twenty years, my weight has been constant as a rock at 205 pounds. It never goes higher, and despite my best efforts, it never goes lower. For ten years, I drank a liter of vodka every day and my weight never changed so much as a pound. I quit drinking 2½ years ago and still my weight never changed. It stayed at a solid 205 pounds. I had begun wondering if my scale was broken. Maybe it would show that everything I put on the scale weighed 205 pounds. 

Then Nuria, my Costa Rican lady friend, moved in with me. She likes to cook. She especially likes to make desserts. Here's a photo of her latest dessert. She calls it "apple pie." I call it a heart attack waiting to happen. But in acknowledgement of my expanding waistline, she made one concession. This pie is sugar free. At least, that's what she tells me.

Homemade Sugar-Free Apple Pie
So what is my weight now? My scale says 214, clothed, and 210 wearing only my skivvies.

What should my weight be for best health? For my age and height, I should weigh between 128 and 162 pounds.

The last time I weighed 128 pounds I was in high school. In year 2000, I weighed about 185. Since then, I've slowly put on twenty pounds. When I hit 205, my weight stabilized there. For a while. I did hit a weight spurt where my weight zoomed up to 218. I don't know why it went up. But I brought it back down. I got it down to 201, whereupon it rebounded to 205 and stayed there for a number of years. Then, as I mentioned, Nuria moved in and with her came cakes, pies, cookies, and real meals, not frozen Stouffers's or Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine. Nope, yesterday I had spaghetti with homemade meat sauce and parmesan cheese plus apple pie. Tonight Nuria plans to have Mediterranean pasta salad, stuffed salmon, sweet peas, broccoli, and carrots. And I sit at the dinner table with no resistance to tasty food.

Somebody, help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings

Love the post -- I guess the proof is in the pie --- more eating is more weight. And espesially more sweet stuff.

It is amazing that your weight stayed the same for so long --

I think the rule is more food in -- more steps out -- that is probably how Nuria keeps her weight in check. I'm not a huge fan of sweet stuff -- just food in general. I've been watching the 600 # people -- wow --what a show and my heart breaks for these people who's weight dictates their life and death.

I do wonder why my weight is all over the board throughout the years unlike your own. I've probably had the same amount of inactivity all the way through the years.

Great post -- we need to form a club and become accountable to one another --- not what we eat but how many steps we take.

Good luck --- thanks for sharing.

Best, LL