Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Morning News

There was a major electrical storm here last night, so I unplugged my computer. This morning I reconnected the power and the pc acted dead ... it wouldn't boot up, the monitor stayed dark. I turned it off and on several times, unplugged it and plugged it back in, but it was no go. The internal fans ran but that was the only sign of life. Finally I turned it on its side and removed the side panel. I pondered what to do next (jiggle the cables? unplug and re-plug the connectors?) I pushed the power button one more time and this time the pc booted up normally. I think it will be ok as long as I never turn the power off again.

Being connected to the larger world once more, I began surfing the news stories. I read that a Tucson SWAT team stormed the home of an ex-Marine they suspected of being associated with smuggling drugs. They banged on the front door then broke through it. He was sitting inside holding an AR-15 (his wife and son were in the house), so the SWAT guys shot at him over 70 times, hitting him more than 20 times. They claimed he fired at them first, but an investigation determined his weapon was not fired and was never taken off the safety position. The officers found guns in his house but nothing illegal was found. An investigation concluded the actions of the SWAT team were in accordance with Arizona law and SWAT training. The officers involved in the raid were not charged with anything and all of them continue at their jobs.

But I say: if the law allows cops to break down your door, storm into your living room, and shoot you dead as you lawfully sit in your house minding your own business, then there is something seriously wrong with the law.

No comments: