Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Veggie Burger

My curiosity got the best of me at the grocery store. I bought a package of veggie burgers. The burger looked so good in the picture on the box: the sesame seed bun, the veggie patty – with black grill marks – resting on a piece of lettuce and topped with tomato and onion. It looked like a restaurant burger. I had to know what it tasted like.

Back home in my kitchen, I heated a veggie burger and placed it on a hamburger bun. I added sliced onion and mustard. Then I bit into it.

Want to know what a veggie burger tastes like? It tastes like cardboard.

I’ve never tried to eat cardboard so I can’t claim to know exactly what it tastes like. But a veggie burger tastes just like what I imagine cardboard would taste like. In a word: nasty … like something that doesn’t belong in your mouth. It’s not meat-like in any way; neither in taste nor texture. It doesn’t taste like food at all. At least, not to me, and I’m not picky about food. I threw the thing into the kitchen garbage can.

Why would anyone eat one of these things? And why spend money to buy a facsimile burger when, for no cost at all, you could cut out a piece of cardboard and place it on a bun and have basically the same thing?

I bought ground beef patties today and cooked some burgers. I already had the buns.

No comments: